CAST10 Archives

February 2022

From:
"Paulson, Joel A." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paulson, Joel A.
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:42:18 +0000
Dear colleagues,

I am sending a reminder that the Process Control, Optimization, and Data Analytics Young Researcher Online Seminar Series will continue next week, with the following details:

  *   Date: Wednesday, February 23rd
  *   Time: 10:10-11am EST

  *   Zoom link: https://osu.zoom.us/j/95530269203?pwd=c3ZrcEtKMFBKbnkvRHVQZVNxbnF6Zz09&from=addon

Our next speaker will be Mario Zanon<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mariozanon.wordpress.com/__;!!KGKeukY!l2E0-EX_GUsyhomz-F8El7eBMxdvTWSVYcKQc-gqQSeY4jSbiWC2J2CPSohuyLIPzg$>; please see the text below for the presentation title, abstract, and a short biography for our speaker.

Presentation title
Reinforcement Learning with Guarantees

Presentation abstract
Reinforcement learning (RL) struggles to provide strong guarantees on the behavior of the resulting control scheme. In contrast, MPC is a standard tool for the closed-loop optimal control of complex systems with constraints and limitations, and benefits from a rich theory to assess closed-loop behavior. Because of model inaccuracy, however, MPC can fail at delivering satisfactory closed-loop performance. Mario and Sébastien will show how to leverage the advantages of the two techniques, offering a path towards safe and explainable RL.

Speaker biography
Mario Zanon received a Master's degree in Mechatronics from the University of Trento, and the Diplôme d'Ingénieur from the Ecole Centrale Paris, in 2010. After research stays at the KU Leuven, University of Bayreuth, Chalmers University, and the University of Freiburg he received the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the KU Leuven in November 2015. He held a Post-Doc researcher position at Chalmers University until the end of 2017, after which he became Assistant Professor and from 2021 Associate Professor at the IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca. His research interests include reinforcement learning, numerical methods for optimization, economic MPC, optimal control and estimation of nonlinear dynamical systems in particular for aerospace and automotive applications.

Sincerely,

Joel

--
Joel A. Paulson