CAST10 Archives

September 2011

From:
"Edgar, Thomas F" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edgar, Thomas F
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2011 20:04:51 +0000
Dear Colleague,

We invite you to participate in an exciting initiative to honor the career achievements of David Himmelblau, emeritus professor of chemical engineering at the University of Texas at Austin, who recently passed away.

Working with the CACHE (Computer Aids for Chemical Engineering) organization and the CAST Division of AIChE, our goal is to create an endowment that would fund the David Himmelblau Award for Innovations in Computer-based Chemical Engineering Education, which is awarded by the CAST Division.  The purpose of the award is to recognize computing and information technology-based developments in chemical engineering education, which was an important theme of David's outstanding academic career.  The award is presented annually and the earnings from the fund would cover honoraria for the award recipients.

Please see the attached letter and accompanying form for more information on how to contribute.  We have also included the CACHE news article (Summer 2011) which details more on David's life and his contributions to our profession, as well as some touching comments from his colleagues.

Sincerely,

David M. Himmelblau Endowment Fund Steering Committee

Lorenz T. Biegler ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Roger T. Bonnecaze ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Chau-Chyun Chen ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Thomas F. Edgar ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
John G. Ekerdt ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Bruce A. Finlayson ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
H. Scott Fogler ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Ignacio E. Grossmann ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Ernest J. Henley ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
David A. Kofke ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Manfred Morari ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
G. V. Reklaitis ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
James B. Riggs ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Warren D. Seider ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Venkat Venkatasubramanian ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)