Corning Incorporated has an opening for an (advanced) process control engineer in the Applied Control Engineering Solutions (ACES) group (a part of the Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering department). This group provides control solutions for the various businesses within Corning Incorporated. You will have an opportunity to improve or optimize existing control system performance through the application of existing advanced control technologies or the development of new technologies that have a credible case.
We are specifically seeking new PhD or MSc graduates or those who are close to graduating that are interested in applying and implementing advanced control or modeling concepts to a wide variety of processes.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems. Corning's history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering (MTE) department is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning's existing & emerging businesses. We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning's businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning's manufacturing as a differential advantage.
The role will require utilization of both modern and classic control methodologies to implement solutions such as linear and non-linear controls, model predictive control, intelligent control, and supervisory controls. You will work closely with experts from other disciplines to develop the optimal control strategy and integrate the required measurements. Specific responsibilities may include:
* Design process measurement and control systems strategies for manufacturing plants based on data collected in production, pilot plant operations, or laboratory experiments.
* Perform control system assessments and optimize or retrofit existing processes and control strategies through modern control strategies such as optimal control, robust control, adaptive control, or model predictive control.
* Industrialize research grade manufacturing systems for deployment and migration.
* Collaborate with experts in other fields on control oriented process modeling.
* Determine control challenges, value propositions, and write proposals to initiate control projects.
* Implement, test, and troubleshoot developed process control strategies.
* Develop in breadth knowledge of existing processes to identify process control optimization opportunities and write proposals to initiate control projects.
* Utilize multivariate or frequency domain analysis methodologies to design for process capability
* Present and participate in peer review of process control strategies across a diverse technology portfolio.
* Document process control finding in technical reports.
* Travel Requirements: Could travel as much as 50%
* Currently enrolled or recently completed coursework in process controls, controls, thermal engineering, and/or mechatronics.
* Ph.D. or M.Sc. in Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering specializing in process control, system identification, or optimization.
* Familiarity with a diverse array of process controls strategies
* Programming in .NET languages such as C# and Visual Basic
* Problem solving abilities
* Data analysis
* Strong verbal and written skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Ability to prepare and present presentations
* Electrical troubleshooting skills
* Familiarity with Field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs)
Reference Number: 171500
To receive consideration, interested applications should contact Siam Aumi at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with an updated resume or CV.
SIAM B. AUMI, PhD. | Controls Engineer II
Applied Control Engineering Solutions (ACES)<http://share.corning.com/sites/mte/ACES/default.aspx>
Work: (607) 974-4142 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>