CMNS-UNDERGRAD-NEWS Archives

January 2023

Sender:
From:
Audrey Rappaport <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:28:05 -0500

What if you could apply the optimization mindset you’ve learned in your CS
classes to the question of how you can best improve the world?

Effective Altruism is a community that attempts to help people answer the
question: “Given my limited time and resources, how can I do the most
good?”

Effective Altruism @ UMD is a student group that supports students with
information, resources, and networking as they work through this question.

In a world increasingly rich with high-quality data and growing
technological risks, computer science majors have enormous potential to
leverage their skills for good. Whether by ensuring the development of safe
AI, creating models to measure the risk of new pandemics, or developing
software for effective nonprofits, the skills of computer science majors
prove to be an immensely powerful lever for positive change.

We are excited to invite computer science students to apply for our
introductory fellowship. The goal of the fellowship is to introduce some of
the principles and thinking tools behind effective altruism and cause
prioritization. We hope that these tools can help you as you think through
how you can best help the world. The fellowship will also share arguments
for working on specific problems where an extra unit of work may be
particularly impactful.

If you are interested in 8 weeks of readings and discussion on these topics
with a small group of interested students, apply at
https://ter.ps/EAappSP2023 by Feb. 15th!

Other ways to get involved with Effective Altruism @ UMD include:

Joining our Discord: https://ter.ps/EAdiscord

Adding our Google Calendar: https://ter.ps/EAcal