CMNS-UNDERGRAD-NEWS Archives

March 2023

From:
Gene Ferrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:49:58 -0400
View this email in a browser »
<https://science.umd.edu/events/scienceontap-2023-03.html>
[image: University of Maryland > Fearlessly Forward] <https://umd.edu/>
[image: A square Ledo pizza on a nice plate with a plate of wings in soft
focus in the background.]
[image: College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences]
<https://cmns.umd.edu/>

SCIENCE ON TAP

*A monthly lecture series at UMD that explores the latest discoveries in
science and technology in a relaxed atmosphere with food and drink*

"Getting Down and Dirty with Bacteria: Using Computers to Understand
Microbial Communities"

[image: Using Computers to Understand Microbial Communities]
------------------------------

[image: Mihai Pop against a deep blue tinted microscopy background of
various microbes]

MIHAI POP
Professor of Computer Science, University of Maryland
Director, University of Maryland Institute for
Advanced Computer Studies

*Monday, March 13, 2023*Doors open at 6 p.m.
Lecture begins at 6:30 p.m.

*Ledo Pizza*
<https://locations.ledopizza.com/ll/US/MD/College-Park/4509-Knox-Rd>
4509 Knox Rd.
College Park, MD 20740

*Paid parking is available in the attached city garage, which guests can
enter on Yale Avenue. Guests may enter the event venue via the Ledo
entrance on the corner of Knox Road and Yale Avenue.*
*REGISTER NOW*
<https://umd.alumniq.com/index.cfm/events:register/home/eventId/1997>

*Food service and beverages will be available for purchase at the event or
by pre-order on order.ledopizza.com/menu/ledo-pizza-college-park
<https://order.ledopizza.com/menu/ledo-pizza-college-park>. *

Questions? Contact Abby Robinson
at [log in to unmask]  <[log in to unmask]>or 301-405-5845.

Subscribe to Receive Science on Tap Emails
<https://groups.google.com/a/umd.edu/forum/#!forum/scienceontap/join>
------------------------------

*ABOUT THE TALK*
What do Skittles and computers have to do with microbes? What role does
Charles Dickens play in our understanding of DNA? And why should you care
about the DNA of bacteria and microbes that inhabit virtually every part of
our planet? I’m happy to answer these questions and more, as I highlight
the role that complex microbial communities—known as the microbiome—play in
human, animal and environmental health. I will discuss how new genomic
sequencing tools allow scientists a deeper insight into how microbes
interact with each other and with our ecosystem—and what that means for
drug therapeutics, sustainable agricultural, and wetlands restoration. In
closing, I will introduce the new Center of Excellence in Microbiome
Sciences at the University of Maryland, a cross-campus effort that takes a
“One Health” approach to research and scholarship involving microbes and
bacteria—advocating for an integrated, unifying method to balance and
optimize the health of people, animals, and the environment.

*ABOUT THE SPEAKER*
Mihai Pop is a professor of computer science and director of the University
of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies. As a genomics
sequencing expert in the Center for Bioinformatics and Computational
Biology, he is active in the development of computational approaches for
analyzing microbial communities, with a specific focus on characterizing
the strain-level diversity within samples. Other interests include tools
for searching biological databases, antibiotic resistance, and software
testing. His lab has developed several widely used open-source software
tools for the analysis of genomic and metagenomic data. Pop is committed to
education and is active in teaching and mentoring at all academic
professional levels, with a particular interest in the development of open
educational resources for introductory computer science and bioinformatics.
He is also a strong advocate for inclusion and diversity within the
scientific community and an active participant in outreach efforts to
achieve those goals. He completed his undergraduate studies in 1994 at the
Politehnica University in Bucharest, Romania, received his Ph.D. in
computer science from Johns Hopkins University in 2000 and has been at the
University of Maryland since 2005.
[image: CMNS logo] <http://cmns.umd.edu/>
[image: Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/umdcmns>  [image: Instagram]
<https://www.instagram.com/umdscience/>  [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/umdscience>  [image: LinkedIn]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/umdscience/>  [image: YouTube]
<https://www.youtube.com/user/cmnsumd>
3400 A.V. Williams Building
8223 Paint Branch Dr. / College Park, MD 20742
*[log in to unmask]* <[log in to unmask]>
[image: Design element of red, white and yellow arrows]