CMNS-UNDERGRAD-NEWS Archives

September 2013

From:
Gene Ferrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2013 12:35:02 +0000
Subject: ACM ICPC Programming Contest 2013: Meeting Sep 17, 12-1 at AVW4172

Dear All,

We will be starting preparation of the teams for this year's ACM ICPC
Programming contest (for more information about the contest see below).
The regional contest this year is on Saturday November 2, 2013
(http://midatl.radford.edu/), and the World Finals will be in
Yekaterinburg, Russia, in July 2014.

The regional contest is distributed across many sites -- we will be going
to the site in Howard University, DC.

Generally we have had great success in the past few years, with one of our
teams winning or qualifying through the regional event, and doing very
well in the World Finals. We are hoping to build upon that this year, and
field at least THREE strong teams for the regional event (each team
consists of three members). Given past years' experience, we are quite
confident that one of our teams will make it to the World Finals this year
as well.

If you are interested in participating please ATTEND our meeting with the
interested students on September 17 (Tue), 12:00pm-1:00pm in A.V Williams
Building, Room 4172. Note that pariticipating (in the worst case partly)
in this session is Mandatory, since we register interested students during
the same session. In the extreme case that a student cannot attend this
meeting but he/she is still interested in the contest, he/she can send me
an EMAIL with SUBJECT: "Absentee Registration"+your UID, no later than Sep
17 to explain the reasons that he/she cannot attend the meeting (you do
not need to send ANY email otherwise; just come to the session). We plan
to have our UMD local contest remotely on Sep 22, Sunday, 9am-9pm.

The eligibility criteria can be found at the link below -- most
undergraduate students and first year gradute students would qualify.
Having experience in Informatics Olympiad (IOI) or Mathematical Olympaid
(IMO) can be a plus. Talk to me in the session on Sep 17 in case of doubt.

http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc/regionals/EligibilityDecisionTree.pdf

Best regards,
Mohammad
-----------------------------

ACM ICPC (International Collegiate Programming Contest) is the biggest
programming contest among colleges in the world. In the contest, teams of
3 try to solve (usually) 8 tasks withing 5 hours.  The solutions are short
programs which are submitted to a server where the programs are compiled
and tested against the judges' data. ACM ICPC is a two-tier contest where
teams first compete in regional contests and then the winners of the
regional contests proceed to the World Finals. Besides being a wonderful
opportunity for networking and making new friendships, the World Finals is
an event where "world's finest university students of the computing
sciences and engineering"
become great visibility among top companies of the IT industry such as
IBM, Google, etc.