From:
Anna Lin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2016 12:24:28 -0400
Subject: Gemstone Team VIRUS LaunchUMD

Team VIRUS is a junior Gemstone research team studying the affects of herpes
simplex virus type-1 infection on astrocytic glial cells.  There has been a
link between HSV-1 infection - which infects nearly 80% of all Americans -
and an increased risk of developing Alzheimer's Disease.
A malfunction of the glymphatic system - a waste clearing system in the brain
- could lead to a build up of plaque that causes blocked connections which
could also lead to AD.

Team VIRUS is looking at a sub-protein (M23) on the aquaporins on the end
feet of the glial cells.  The aquaporin control the flow of cerebral spinal
fluid and interstitial spinal fluid in the brain that removes the plaque.

We need your help to complete our research!  We have begun our LaunchUMD
campaign for the month of October to fund part of the project!  We are
looking to meet (and hopefully surpass) our goal of $3,500 but we need
your help.  Any and all tax-deductible donations are encouraged to our
campaign and we appreciate your donation and help to support another fearless
idea here at Maryland!

Thank you!

LaunchUMD Donation Link: https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/2975

Facebook: www.facebook.com/teamvirus2018