CMNS-UNDERGRAD-NEWS Archives

February 2011

From:
Gene Ferrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:52:57 -0500
My name is Ariella and I am Event Co-Chair of Relay For Life, the signature fundraising event of the American Cancer Society. We hold fundraising and awareness events all throughout the year to support the fight against cancer, with our main event this year occurring on April 2 at 5pm on Ludwig Field. Relay For Life is a 12-hour, overnight event on our campus where there is free food, entertainment, performances, games, competitions, prizes, and touching ceremonies that honor survivors and caregivers and remember those we have lost to cancer. People forms teams of up to 20 people with their friends, colleagues, and teammates and spend the  night walking around the track and participating in various activities. It is $10 per person to sign up on a team; people can sign up on our website, RelayUMD.org.

We are proud to say that the Relay For Life event held on our campus is one of the fastest growing Relays in the country. Last year, we had approximately 2,000 participants and raised over $141,000. This year, our goal is to increase participation and to raise at least $200,000. We are already ahead of our benchmark from last year, and therefore believe that we have a very good chance of reaching our goal!

We are trying to reach out to every corner of campus to get everyone involved in this life-saving fundraising event and we want to spread the word to the students and faculty who are involved in your programs. We have a couple of deadlines and events that we wanted to make your program aware of.

1) Monday, Feb. 28 at midnight is the final day to sign up for Relay For Life if participants want to receive a free t-shirt
2) Wednesday, March 2 - we are having a Noodle's Restaurant Night, where 25% of the proceeds will go to Relay and people can sign up for Relay for only $5 instead of the usual $10 (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=197150146979309)
3) March 13 - Scavenger Hunt! http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195704770443625

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Ariella

--
Ariella Cohen and Stephen Tolbert
2011 Relay For Life Co-Chairs