The Dow Chemical Company is seeking a full-time research engineer to be hired in the Chemometrics group of the Core R&D Analytical Sciences Laboratory located in Freeport, Texas. Chemometrics is a fast growing area in Dow and the primary focus of this job is to apply process chemometrics (multivariate statistical analysis tools) to troubleshoot complex manufacturing problems and to develop technology to address manufacturing issues. This role will also require broad problem-solving capabilities through collaboration with other manufacturing and R&D personnel. The applicant will need to be capable of managing multiple projects in parallel and learning new data analysis techniques promptly.
The key job responsibilities include:
* Consultation with internal Dow manufacturing clients to define and meet their needs in multivariate statistical data analysis.
* Troubleshooting manufacturing process and quality problems by incorporating chemistry and engineering knowledge into multivariate data analysis.
* Performing research and leveraging emerging technology in multivariate statistical analysis into Dow.
* Applying Six Sigma skills to manage projects and to promote process chemometrics through various networks and contacts
The ideal candidate will have:
* EDUCATION: Ph.D. (with 0-1 year working experience) or Bachelor of Science (with a minimum of 4 years working experience) in Chemical Engineering or closely related field with a strong background in multivariate statistical analysis. Six Sigma Black Belt certification is a plus.
* TECHNICAL: Proficiency in current commercial and academic software (such as SIMCA, JMP), computer languages (such as MatlabTM, VBA), and data historian (Aspen IP.21). Industrial experience with on-line model implementation and support is a plus.
* TEAMWORK: Must be able to work effectively as a team member in a self-directed team environment globally. Must be able to translate and communicate statistical results to non-statistics experts. Demonstrates leadership skills, and actively participates in team meetings.
* INITIATIVE: Overcome obstacles (capital, resources, time) to achieve results. Self-driven to actively generate, pursue and complete projects. Identify value-creation opportunities to apply chemometrics
* LEARNING: Interested and effective in learning new data analysis techniques through internal research collaboration, workshop, and journal reading.
* VALUE CREATION: Must be able to recognize opportunities and interact directly with clients to deliver effective solutions. Prioritize multiple projects and effectively allocate resources to maximize value creation.
* COMMUNICATION: Strong verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing and presentation.
To apply online, go to www.careersatdow.com <http://www.careersatdow.com> , click on Jobs @ Dow and then select Job Opportunities. This is Job 0700863. Application deadline is April 4, 2007.
The Dow Chemical Company is a leader in science and technology, providing innovative chemical, plastic and agricultural products and services to many essential consumer markets. With annual sales of $50 billion, Dow serves customers in 175 countries and a wide range of markets that are vital to human progress: food, transportation, health and medicine, personal and home care, and building and construction, among others. Committed to the principles of sustainable development, Dow and its 42,000 employees seek to balance economic, environmental and social responsibilities.
Dow is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and benefits package including 401k, stock purchase, performance incentives, and educational assistance. Please visit our web site at www.dow.com <www.dow.com> .
Analytical Sciences, Core R&D
The Dow Chemical Company
2301 Brazosport Blvd., B1463
Freeport, TX 77541