Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library
*The George Washington University *
The Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library at The George Washington
University supports the educational, clinical and research needs of
the Medical Center . The Reference and Instructional Services
department is integrated with the School of Medicine and Health
Sciences and the School of Public Health and Health Services
curricula, and provides support for clinical teams and research labs.
Reference Librarian (recruitment continues)
The Reference Librarian at the Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library is an
important member of the information and reference team of The George
Washington University Medical Center. This position assists in the
provision of information and instructional services to students, staff,
and faculty of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences and the School
of Public Health and Health Services, GW Hospital staff, Medical Faculty
Associates clinical practice staff, and community-based clinic staff.
Other duties include reference consultations, faculty Blackboard
support, and membership on various library committees. This position
reports to the Associate Director, Technology and Curriculum.
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the
1. Provides reference and information services to patrons at the
reference and instruction desk in the library.
2. Performs online database search services and research
consultations as requested.
3. Participates in and designs formal and informal instruction and
orientation programs for students, staff, and faculty, as well as
community health patrons.
4. Participates in curricular activities for School of Medicine and
Health Sciences, and School of Public Health and Health Services,
including Problem-oriented, Case-based Learning (PCL).
5. Participates in the departmental Library Liaison program providing
instruction and informational services to various departments
(both academic and clinical) of the Medical Center .
6. Participates in the provision of educational courses, workshops
and seminars for various patron groups within the library
throughout the academic year.
7. Contributes to the development and evaluation of web-delivered
courses and instructional m aterials.
8. Provides support to faculty in creating and maintaining course in
Blackboard, as well as other educational technologies.
9. Acts as a subject liaison for Internet resources database on
selected health sciences topics.
10. Investigates new technologies including Web 2.0 technologies and
digital video to determine possible library applications.
11. Contributes to library marketing and communication activities.
12. Participates in orientation and training activities for new
13. Participates in collection development activities for the
14. Participates in community-based educational outreach activities.
15. Assists in management of student listservs and library e-mail
16. Provides research consultations to library patrons as requested.
17. Other duties as assigned.
* MLS from an ALA-accredited school or equivalent relevant Masters
* Minimum of 2-3 years experience teaching information literacy
skills and providing reference service or 2-3 years providing
educational technology support in a library environment
* Experience searching biomedical literature and full-text databases
* Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Camtasia or
* Experience with course management software and development of
online instructional modules or tutorials
* Experience with and knowledge of Web 2.0 technologies.
* Knowledge of Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) and EBM resources
* Experience providing advanced information services in an academic
health sciences library
* Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all levels of
library staff and patrons.
The minimum salary is from $50,000, based on experience and
qualifications, plus excellent academic benefits. The review of
applications will begin on June 1, 2008 and will continue until the
position is filled. Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement to
the address below. Also provide the names and contact information of 3
references including telephone numbers and addresses. Only complete
applications will be considered.
The George Washington University Medical Center
Attention: J. Marie Miller
Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library
2300 Eye Street, NW
Washington , DC 20037
The George Washington University is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE
dcla-l mailing list
[log in to unmask]
Student Services Assistant
College of Information Studies, Maryland's iSchool
University of Maryland at College Park
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this
e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be