repetitive navigational links
Skip repetitive navigational links

Date:         Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:26:45 -0500
Sender:       "Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news"
From:         "Chalcraft, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Graduate positions available in ecology and evolutionary biology

GRADUATE STUDIES IN ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION AT EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY The Department of Biology at East Carolina University (the third largest campus in the North Carolina University System) invites inquiries and applications from prospective graduate students for Fall 2009. We have an active and well-supported group of faculty in Ecology and Evolution and will guarantee accepted PhD students (to the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in Biological Sciences) at least two years of support with no teaching obligations and at least five years of support total, at a very competitive level. We also offer two MS programs (with TA-ships readily available) and participate in ECU's PhD program in Coastal Resources Management. Situated in the attractive and affordable community of Greenville, we are in easy reach of North Carolina's Research Triangle (including the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center) as well as the diverse natural communities of the Coastal Plain and the Outer Banks. Thus excellent opportunities exist for collaboration and to work in terrestrial, aquatic, wetland and marine systems. A readily available 454 sequencer at ECU's Brody School of Medicine facilitates genomic research. Travel is convenient through Raleigh-Durham International Airport and our faculty are engaged in research on every continent but Antarctica. Please visit to find out more about our department, faculty and graduate programs. Review of graduate applications generally begins in March (though the formal deadline is later). Our Ecology and Evolution faculty include: Jason Bond: Arthropod systematics. Mark Brinson: Wetland restoration ecology, ecosystem ecology. David Chalcraft: Population and community ecology; ecological aspects of biodiversity. Robert Christian: Systems and network theory; ecology of coastal ecosystems. Lisa Clough: Marine benthic ecology (Arctic and Atlantic). Carol Goodwillie: Plant mating system evolution. Jinling Huang: Evolutionary genomics, bioinformatics; horizontal gene transfer. Claudia Jolls: Evolutionary ecology and breeding systems of plants. Dave Kimmel: Plankton ecology. Trip Lamb: Systematics and phylogeography. Joe Luczkovich: Food web ecology and fish bioacoustics. Jeff McKinnon: Sexual selection, speciation in fish. Sue McRae: Behavioral ecology and social evolution in birds. Anthony Overton: Larval fish ecology, fisheries biology. Enrique Reyes: Landscape ecology, ecological modeling, coastal management. Roger Rulifson: Fisheries Biology and management. Jean-Luc Scemama: Fish evo-devo. Matt Schrenk: Biofilm ecology, microbiology. Ed Stellwag: Vertebrate evo-devo and cis-regulatory network evolution. John Stiller: Plant comparative genomics. Kyle Summers: Evolution of color, behavior in poison frogs; evolutionary medicine. Heather Vance-Chalcraft: Predation and community ecology. Terry West: Human impacts on coastal ecosystems. Baohong Zhang: MicroRNA evolution, comparative genomics, and molecular genetics. In addition to visiting the websites, please contact prospective mentors directly for more information, or graduate studies director Terry West: [log in to unmask]