Toledo Museum of Art
Job Title: Catalog Librarian
Area of Expertise: Art Reference Library
Reports To: Associate Librarian
FLSA Status: Exempt
Accurately describe and classify library materials according to
international standards and local practice in order to make such
materials accessible to patrons of the library and the Museum.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other
duties may be assigned.
* Perform original and complex copy cataloging for all monographic
formats and languages by searching appropriate documentation for
existing records, and downloading or copying appropriate records
(including pre-acquisition searching).
* Make library materials accessible by assigning appropriate
classification numbers to books and catalogues, determining
appropriate call numbers and main entries and processing materials.
* Assist in the acquisition of library materials by creating order
lists and purchase orders.
* Support the level of professionalism and standardization of the
library catalog by maintaining current awareness of MARC standards and
LC cataloging practices and changes, implementing them when needed and
communicating changes in standards, policies, and practices to
department staff; performing bibliographic file maintenance and
authority control (as needed); and performing necessary system
supervisor tasks in absence of Associate Librarian.
* Contribute to library patron's satisfactory visitor experience by
staffing the circulation desk on a rotating basis, providing reference
service to patrons in-house and remotely, and demonstrating
values-based behavior and excellent service in all contacts with
* Maintain professional contacts and knowledge by attending
professional meetings and workshops.
* Enhance the usefulness of the library catalog by assisting users in
applying cataloging principles to retrieve materials more efficiently.
* Enhance public awareness of the library by providing monthly input
on new books to website, maintaining website resources and appearance
of the library website.
* Support the effective operation of the library by performing other
related tasks as assigned.
* Support the Museum's general operation by participating on
cross-functional teams and task forces as appropriate.
Team Relationships: Reports to Associate Librarian; member of Library
Area of Expertise within Collections Branch.
Education and/or Experience
* Master's degree (M. A.) from an accredited library or information
* Undergraduate degree in the humanities (art history or extensive art
history coursework preferred).
* One year cataloging experience preferred but recent graduates are
encouraged to apply.
* Working knowledge of AACRII, LCSH, OCLC, and USMARC format;
experience with integrated library systems and working knowledge of at
least one foreign language.
Find a full description here:
For application information visit:
Nonprint Media Services Library
301-405-9236 fax 301-314-9419
[log in to unmask]