Alexander Street Press is an award-winning publisher of electronic databases
and collections in the humanities, located in Alexandria, VA, recognized by
our customers and peers for producing products of outstanding quality. We
see understanding customer needs and delivering high quality and innovative
products as the root of our success. We have an immediate opening for a
cataloging contractor to edit raw MARC records.
Strong organizational skills, accuracy, and dependability in a fast-paced
work environment are essential. Must possess ability to multi-task or shift
tasks in order to meet changing deadlines or needs. Must have experience in
creating or editing MARC (machine readable cataloging) records. Master’s
Degree in Library Science is preferred.
• Assist in review and approval of backlogged MARC records from vendor,
according to the appropriate ASP spec.
• Assist in preparation of existing MARC records for OCLC. This involves
merging existing batches for each product, converting old style records to
current style (i.e., records from EZ Cat to MarcEdit), identifying and
correcting errors in tagging and coding. We use MarcReport to identify
errors and edit records.
• 2 years experience* with MARC21 format, required.
• 2 years experience* with LC authorities, required.
• Experience with OCLC cataloging styles, highly desirable.
• Experience with MarcEdit or MarcReport software, including validation and
error identification, highly desirable.
• Experience with cataloging music and/or video, highly desirable.
• Cataloger’s familiarity with European languages (French, Spanish, German,
Italian, and Portuguese), highly desirable. This means a practical
cataloging familiarity, not a full reading or speaking knowledge: ability to
recognize the different languages, recognizing words representing articles
(A, An, The equivalents) and numbers, recognition of acceptable diacritics
for the language, etc.
Graduates: This is a contract position. It is full-time and on-site (no
telecommuting). Starting hourly rate from $18.00 per hour. No other
benefits are offered.
Students: Completion of a formal Cataloging and classification course will
suffice as experience. We prefer someone who can work at least 20 hours a
week, with a maximum of 40 hours a week. Starting hourly rate from $15.00
per hour. No other benefits are offered.
To apply, contact Pat Carlson, [log in to unmask] or 703-212-8520, x114