Medical Librarian Opening at Contractor for National Library of Medicine.
Aquilent is currently looking for an experienced Medical Librarian to
join our growing team for an exciting project focused on health
information resources for disaster preparedness, response and recovery.
This person will provide contract support for promoting and implementing
the disaster health information goals of the Disaster Information
Management Research Center (Specialized Information Services Division)
at the National Library of Medicine and for the Bethesda Hospitals'
Emergency Preparedness Partnership.
The successful candidate will have strong communication and networking
skills and will perform a variety of activities as described below. This
is an unusual opportunity to be on the cutting edge of developing new
programs and Internet resources to support expanding roles for
librarians in providing disaster health information. This position is in
Applicants should have strong library and information skills including:
* Medical or public health-related reference, research and bibliographic
skills. Experience as an informationist, clinical librarian or similar
role is a plus.
* Experience fostering networks and collaboration among libraries and
* Ability to create and edit written materials such as project reports.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
* Ability to compose and develop new Web content for upload to existing
* Web and database content management skills and experience. Experience
with developing new Web sites is a plus.
* Ability to develop and follow standards for selecting and organizing
health information, including health news and grey literature.
* Ability to communicate via listserv, blog, wiki, SharePoint, Twitter
and other Internet tools.
* Ability to provide classroom instruction on information topics.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated interest or experience in
disaster/emergency preparedness and response. Some examples include:
* Professional or volunteer experience in emergency preparedness and
* Knowledge of all-hazards and continuity of operations terminology,
acronyms, concepts, NIMS and ICS.
* Knowledge of emergency and disaster health concepts and vocabulary.
* Content knowledge of information resources (all media) useful in
emergencies and disasters for preparedness, response and recovery.
* Knowledge or experience working with first responders and health
* Master's degree in library science or library and information studies
from an ALA-accredited school.
* Background (education or experience) in health information services,
disaster information services, public health, or life sciences.
* At least 2-5 years of experience that is related to the duties and
responsibilities specified. Recent library school graduates with
previous, relevant background experience will also be considered.
To apply for this role, please submit your resume to [log in to unmask]
and reference Health Sciences Librarian in the subject or you may apply
online at www.aquilent.com/about/careers.html under the tab "Careers."
Salary range flexible, $50,000 - $80,000.
Aquilent is an award-winning company with a history of more than 25
years providing innovative information technology and web-based services
to federal agencies. Aquilent improves the quality and efficiency of
service to citizens, employees, and businesses through a suite of
solutions and services. With our expertise, we help the Federal
Government develop a world-class user experience on their Web sites. To
learn more about Aquilent, named one of the 2009 Top 50 Best Places to
Work by the Washington Business Journal, please visit our website at