Perhaps of interest...
Mary Edsall Choquette, M.L.S., Ph.D.
College of Information Studies
University of Maryland, College Park
[log in to unmask]
From: Francine Snyder [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 5:52 PM
To: SAA Museum Archives Section Discussion List
Subject: [museum] Job posting: Archives Assistant (temp project position), Guggenheim Museum, NY
Please see below for a recent (nine month) job opening.
(TEMPORARY PROJECT POSITION)
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is seeking a temporary Archives Assistant. As a member of the Library and Archives Department, the Archives Assistant will be part of a project team responsible for arrangement and description of the Hilla Rebay records, Thomas M. Messer records and Exhibition records within the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Archives collection. The Archives Assistant will also play an integral role in digitization of select record series within these collections. This position requires the Archives Assistant to work part of the week in our Brooklyn warehouse and the other part of the week in our Hudson Street / Soho office.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
There are no direct reports associated with this position. However, this position may oversee interns on occasion.
* Archives Assistant for the arrangement and description of Hilla Rebay records, Thomas M. Messer records and Exhibition records.
* Work with Processing Archivist to prepare descriptive inventory (historical note, scope and content note, series descriptions, box/folder listing) using word processing software and EAD (Encoded Archival Description).
* Identify records requiring basic preservation measures. Work with museum staff to develop and enact conservation plans.
* Digitize historic records according to established procedures.
* Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
* Experience working in archives and/or coursework in archives from a MLS program. ALA-accredited MLS with an archival specialization preferred.
* Previous experience processing archives collections.
* Knowledge of archives terminology and standards including DACS. EAD knowledge a plus.
* Knowledge of 20th century art.
* Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, interpersonal, planning, analytical, and conceptual skills
* Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
* Ability to lift boxes weighing up to 40 pounds
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Indicate the job title “Archives Assistant (Temporary)” in the subject line. Only those applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Manager of Library and Archives
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
345 Hudson Street, 12th floor
New York, NY 10014 4502
[log in to unmask]
You are currently subscribed to the SAA Museum Archives Section Discussion List as: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe or to change your list settings, please visit: