CMNS-UNDERGRAD-NEWS Archives

April 2011

From:
Gene Ferrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:52:42 -0400
Prep program at University of New Mexico

The Post-baccalaureate Research and Education Program (PREP) at the University of New Mexico, under the direction of Dr. Richard Cripps, is currently recruiting nationwide and accepting applications for the 2011-2012 cohort. PREP is a National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded program designed to enhance the ability of underrepresented minority post-baccalaureate students in the biomedical sciences to gain entry to, and succeed in, nationally-recognized Ph.D. programs.

We anticipate to begin the 2011-2012 program in June 2011. We are seeking recent (or May 2011) college graduates to fill 9 PREP trainee/scholar openings. The scholars are required to perform research for one full year with their faculty mentor. In addition to lab research, scholars are expected to

• prepare and take the GRE
• seek and apply to Biomedical graduate programs
• attend professional meetings • enroll in a Research Ethics course
• present research
• attend weekly meetings
• attend seminars
• and other recommended activities.
The program is an intensive one-year program. Although it is time consuming, PREP provides scholars with great number of tools, skills, and knowledge to succeed in graduate school.

Please encourage recent or May 2011 college graduates to visit the PREP website found below for additional information and for instructions on how to apply. There is no official deadline, however we highly encourage applicants to submit their application by April/May of 2011. For additional questions, please feel free to contact the Program Coordinator, Antonio Ba๑uelos at [log in to unmask] or at 505-610-1725.

For more information please view the link below. http://biology.unm.edu/prep

Thank you,