CMNS-UNDERGRAD-NEWS Archives

April 2011

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:12:52 -0400
From:
Glenn Rahmoeller <[log in to unmask]>
Applied Ethics and Public Policy in Bioengineering (BIOE 150)
CORE Behavioral and Social Science (SB)
Fall 2011, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30pm-4:45pm

Successes are the result of the technical knowledge you learn in college.
Disasters often occur because of ethical lapses.

.	What is ethics?  Why is it important?
.	Learn basic ethical principles and how to apply them.
.	Learn about professionalism, your obligations to your employer and
society, and codes of ethics.
.	Evaluate case studies from bioengineering - the Jarvik Artificial
Heart, mechanical heart valves, silicone breast implants, and many others
concerning clinical studies, whistle-blowing, and scientific 	misconduct.

I am a biomedical engineer, with over 30 years experience in government and
private industry.  I was the first Director of Cardiovascular Devices at the
Food and Drug Administration, and I later served as a consultant to the
medical devices industry.  I have been teaching applied ethics to university
students since 1998.

If you have any questions, you may contact me at [log in to unmask] or
on my cell phone at 301-466-6160.

I hope to see you in class.

Glenn Rahmoeller, MSEE, MS (Physiology)
Lecturer, Fischell Department of Bioengineering, University of Maryland
Senior Lecturer, Honors Program, University of Maryland
website - http://www.glennrahmoeller.com/