ASM Undergraduate Research Fellowship (ASM-URF)
The ASM Undergraduate Research Fellowship (URF) is aimed at highly competitive students who wish to pursue graduate careers (Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D) in microbiology. Students will have the opportunity to conduct full time research at their home institutions with an ASM member and present research results at the ASM General Meeting the following year.
• Conduct a research project for a minimum of 10 weeks beginning in the summer of 2012
• Work with faculty mentors who are ASM members and who are employed at the students home institutions, and
• Submit a research abstract for presentation at the 2013 ASM General Meeting.
The Fellowship provides:
• Up to $4000 for student stipend
• Two-year ASM student membership, and
• Up to $1000 in travel support for students to present the results of the research project at the 2013 ASM General Meeting.
Eligible student candidates for the fellowship must:
• Be enrolled as full-time matriculating undergraduate students during the 2012-2013 academic year at an accredited U.S. Institution,
• Be involved in a research project,
• Have an ASM member at their home institutions willing to serve as a mentor, and
• Not receive financial support for research (i.e., Council for Undergraduate Research, Minority Access to Research Careers, Sigma Xi) during the fellowship
For information go to
DEADLINE: February 1, 2012