Science Behind Computing: What makes web search, navigation systems and social media work?
CMSC 198I: I Course (Spring 2012). MWF 10- ‐10:50am
Ever wondered how
• Google does such a remarkable job as a search engine?
• Mapquest give directions?
• An ipod stores so much information?
• Companies mine data and learn about you?
• Computational advertising works? •
We send an SMS over a noisy wireless medium?
This course will take a peek inside some of the underlying algorithmic principles involved in developing the fascinating science behind computing. Students will also learn about modern hardware and software, as well as basics about communication over the internet and basic programming skills.