MdBio Foundation is seeking energetic and outgoing college students to join the Young Science Explorers Program, a bioscience focused education summer program for middle school students. Our counselors will work closely with students who are entering either the seventh or the eighth grade and will gain firsthand experience mentoring middle school students and working as part of a dynamic education team.
YSEP consists of two separate weeklong sessions, one in Baltimore City, and one in Germantown, MD. Over the course of each week, the Young Science Explorers will engage in multiple activities that involve the life sciences and Maryland's booming bioscience industry. These activities include field trips to cutting edge companies and hands-on laboratories aboard the MdBioLab.
* Managing and supervising up to fifteen teenagers at a given time
* Engaging in and participating in all related activities
* Creating a fun, interactive, and secure environment
* Maintaining strict safety and health standards
* Interacting courteously with both teenagers and their guardians
* Cleaning and maintaining YSEP venues
* Eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age
* Must pass background check by state and federal authorities
* Currently working towards an Associates or a Bachelors degree
* CPR and first aid certification a plus
* Must be able to commit to a period of work between July 20, 2012 and August 6, 2012 (weekdays only)
YSEP counselors report to the YSEP Camp Director and will be based in Rockville, MD. YSEP sessions will be
held in Germantown, MD and Baltimore, MD. Counselors are responsible for their own transportation.
Applicants must submit an application package to [log in to unmask] Applications must contain a statement of
interest, a current college transcript, two recommendation letters from teachers or former mentors, and an essay
(no more than 500 words) that addresses:
* What interests you in science (and/or education) and why?
* How does this position support your interests and professional goals?
* What strengths would you bring to the position?
* Something about yourself that we might not learn from your statement of interest, recommendation letter
MdBio Foundation, Inc.
9713 Key West Avenue, Suite 100
Rockville, MD 20850
Contact: Jennifer Colvin | Senior Director of Education and Workforce Programs
[log in to unmask]