Perhaps of interest...
Mary Edsall Choquette, MA, MLS, PhD; Lecturer
Assistant Program Director, Online Programs
College of Information Studies, Maryland's iSchool
University of Maryland, College Park
4111H Hornbake Building, South Wing
College Park, MD 20742
[log in to unmask]
From: Francine Snyder [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 11:43 AM
To: SAA Museum Archives Section Discussion List
Subject: [museum] Job Posting: Assistant Archivist, Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, NY
*Please excuse cross postings*
Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking an Assistant Archivist (4 days per week/32 hours). As a member of the Library and Archives Department, the Assistant Archivist is responsible for the operation and maintenance of archives database; providing organizational and staff support for new accessions; arranging, re-housing and describing archives collections; coordinating, scheduling and training interns; assisting in other Archives functions as directed by the Director of the Library and Archives.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
· Responsible for accessioning archival materials including both paper and electronic; interact with staff to evaluate record submissions.
· Process (arrange, describe, re-house) archival materials according to current industry standards including creation of processing plans; appraisal evaluations; and DACS-compliant EAD finding aids and MARC records.
· Provide reference services for in-house staff and external researchers as directed, including researching and answering reference questions for staff, and providing reference assistance via telephone, e-mail and in person for external researchers.
· Supervise archives interns and volunteers as needed providing a friendly and challenging work environment.
· Ensure quality and uniformity of archives records; perform retrospective changes or upgrades to individual records as needed.
· Collaborate on special projects with curatorial, registrar, legal, and other museum departments as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· MLIS or equivalent; Bachelor’s in Art or Art history preferred
· Minimum three years experience working with archival collections
· Strong communication and organizational skills
· Must be able to lift up to 40 lb boxes
· Knowledge of Museum purposes, organization, and procedures preferred.
· Strong writing, communication, and organizational skills.
· Ability to work independently in various environments ranging from office setting to warehouse storage facilities.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment. Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to [log in to unmask] Indicate the job title “Assistant Archivist” in the subject line.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Download the full job description<http://www.guggenheim.org/images/content/pdf/hr/2012/assistant_archivist111312.pdf>.
Posting on the Guggenheim Foundation website:
Director of Library and Archives
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
345 Hudson Street, 12th floor
New York, NY 10014 4502
Phone 212 360 4222
Fax 917 386 1427
[log in to unmask]
You are currently subscribed to the SAA Museum Archives Section Discussion List as: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe or to change your list settings, please visit: