Amphibian Research Internship
The USGS Amphibian Research and Monitoring Initiative is looking for an
intern for spring 2013 to assist with a project investigating the
physiological responses of red-back salamanders (Plethodon cinereus) and
Shenandoah salamanders (Plethodon shenandoah) to temperature changes under
a simulation of predicted climate change. Interns will work 20-40 hours a
week at Patuxent Wildlife Research Refuge in Laurel, MD.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist with feeding salamanders and managing fruit fly colonies
• Monitor and record respirometry measurements over the course of 7-
10 hour trials
• Collect and catalogue fecal samples from salamanders
• Assist with weighing and measuring individual salamanders
• Learn and follow all safety guidelines, operations, and policies of
• Preference will be given to undergraduate or graduate students
pursuing a career in a related field
• Ability to strictly follow protocol guidelines and maintain
meticulous data records
• Ability to work in a team environment with staff and other
• Flexibility and a good sense of humor
Term of Appointment
Position Dates: March 4th through April 30th (Start ASAP)
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. We will strongly support an
applicant’s pursuit of college credit for experience during the internship.
Interns will make their own arrangements in the Washington D.C. area.
Applications will be accepted until March 15th, 2013 and will be reviewed
upon receipt until the internship is filled.
Please send the following information in one email:
* Name, home address and phone number, college address and phone
number, email address
* Name of college or university, current academic status, curriculum
(major and minor)
* Degrees held or expected with institution names and dates conferred,
or anticipated date(s) of conferment
* A statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement
should mention relevant experience, career goals, and reason for wanting
this internship. Your statement is very important during application
* Transcripts from your current and/or previous institutions.
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
* Three professional references
Please send applications and questions concerning this position to Andrew
[log in to unmask]