Subject: Hiring: Vector Biology Research Assistant
POSITION TITLE: Vector Biology Research Assistant
WORKSITE: Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD
1. Participate in studies involving dengue virus infection and
transmission in mosquitoes.
2. Prepare Anopheline mosquitoes for infectious feeds and infect the
mosquitoes with cultured malaria parasites using a membrane feeding device.
3. Monitor parasite development in the infected mosquitoes by dissection
and microscopic examination.
4. Assist in immunization of human volunteers by infected mosquito bite
and execution of the challenges to vaccine study volunteers.
5. Participate in maintenance of Plasmodium berghei malaria life cycle
in mice and mosquitoes. Must be able to work with mice (including euthanasia
procedures) after in-house training course.
6. Participate in maintenance of mosquito colonies.
7. Prepare Aedes mosquitoes for infectious feeds and infect the
mosquitoes with Dengue virus using a membrane feeding device.
8. Monitor Dengue virus dissemination in the infected mosquitoes by
dissection and microscopic examination.
9. Manage the bi-weekly Entomology journal club, including: room
reservations, giving presentations, leading discussions, and coordinating
with guest presenters from different divisions.
10. Publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals.
11. Present research at scientific conferences.
12. Provide technical assistance as needed and participate on proposal
writing projects when requested.
13. Provide all job-related progress reports/technical reports as
14. Maintain a safe workplace ensuring that he/she is aware of and
observes appropriate safety and occupational health rules and regulations.
Employee is required to attend safety training relative to his/her position
and report any infractions of safety procedures to the facility Safety
15. Performs light duties and other related duties as required and
1. BS in Biology or related field or equivalent experience.
2. Experience in the laboratory including the following: microscopic
examination of specimens, preparation of laboratory reagents sterile
techniques, and basic tissue culture techniques. Technician will be handling
human malaria parasites in BSL-2 containment.
3. Required to work with insects. Knowledge of insects (specifically
mosquitoes is preferred).
4. Work in large walk-in environmental chambers where elevated
temperature and humidity is necessary to maintain mosquito colonies.
5. Knowledge of applicable highly complex scientific procedures and
techniques relating to positions.
6. Must be able to work independently following a brief period of
specific technical training.
Laboratory/office environment; may require working evenings and weekends.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally
required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to manipulate objects, tools or
controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel,
crouch or crawl; talk or hear. Work may involve long periods of standing and
handling of numerous chemicals and/or hazardous biological material. The
employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The noise level
in the work environment is usually moderate.
Contact Person: David Markman
Contact Email: [log in to unmask]
Contact Phone Number: 301-319-9819