Subject: Part-time Laboratory Assistant (Microbiology lab)
The Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN) is looking
for a University of Maryland student to provide support to our International
Food Safety Training Laboratory (IFSTL). This position will be part-time
during the fall and spring semesters (8-15 hours per week) and may be
full-time during the summer (30-40 hours per week). This position is hourly
and is not entitled to benefits or tuition assistance. Rate of pay is $9.00
per hour. Applicant should have knowledge of basic safe laboratory practices
and be willing to assist with a variety of duties as needed.
Resumes’ may be submitted to [log in to unmask] Please reference Micro
Laboratory Assistant in the subject line.
For more information about the JIFSAN laboratory activities, visit our
The lab is located in Suite 2134, Patapsco Building on Paint Branch Parkway,
College Park, MD (accessible via College Park Metro and UM Shuttle). Free
Parking is available.
This position provides support to International Food Safety Training
• Prepare food samples for microbial analysis
• Prepare media and reagents (ability to operate an autoclave preferred)
• Clean laboratory glassware, counters, refrigerator/freezer
• Work on PCR/Real Time PCR Instruments (training provided)
• Other duties as needed
• Be enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree in science at UMD
• Have at least 3 blocks of 3 contiguous hours available to work in the
Patapsco building (consider up to 15 minutes transportation both ways from
Stamp) per week (attach course schedule to your resume- no consideration
without your course schedule)
• Very good understanding of dilution mathematics, bacterial isolation, and
aware of biohazard and chemical safety
• Very independent worker, able to take directives and perform
• All applicants meeting minimum requirements will be invited in for short
test of skills.
Contact Person: Pam Biery
Contact Email: [log in to unmask]