Subject: Part-time Administrative Assistant
The Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN) is looking
for a University of Maryland student to provide support to the front office
of the International Food Safety Training Laboratory. This position will be
part-time during the spring and fall semesters (8-15 hours per week) and may
be full-time during the summer (30-40 hours per week). Positions are hourly
and are not entitled to benefits or tuition assistance. Rate of pay is $9.00
Applicant should have excellent skills with Microsoft Office and be willing
to assist with a variety of duties as needed. The laboratory is operated much
like a small business and as such, multi-tasking and initiative are a must.
The main function of the laboratory is to prepare and deliver 1 to 2-week
long workshops on laboratory methods for testing food for professionals from
the US and around the world.
1- Administrative Assistant
• Support scientists with orders, managing receipts, travel, etc.
• Prepare and perform inventory control for the laboratory
• Handle correspondence with workshop participants
• Make travel arrangements for lab staff and workshop participants
• Maintain expense records and perform basic statistics in Excel
• Other duties as needed will include supporting the hospitality aspect of
our courses with functions such as cleaning up the classroom, preparing and
cleaning up for coffee breaks, laying out lunch and cleaning up, etc.
• Be enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree at UMD College Park
• Have at least 2 blocks of 3 contiguous hours available to work in the
Patapsco building (consider up to 15 minutes transportation both ways from
Stamp) per week (attach course schedule to your resume- no consideration
without your course schedule)
• Very independent worker, able to take directives and perform
• No experience needed.
To apply, please submit a resume, your course schedule and a ~half-page essay
describing what you think the organization is and does. Incomplete
applications will not be considered.
Applications may be submitted to [log in to unmask] Please reference IFSTL
Administrative Assistant in the subject line
Contact Person: Pam Biery
Contact Email: [log in to unmask]