CMNS-UNDERGRAD-NEWS Archives

April 2016

From:
Anisha Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2016 11:37:22 -0400
Subject: $!50 Scholarship to Try Teaching

TLPL 101! Inquiry Teaching in an Elementary School (1 cr)

The course requires that you observe a local elementary school teacher twice
and then teach two science or math lessons. Yes, that's correct. You are
required to be in the elementary school a total of four times during the
semester. You will teach students using hands-on activities. We suggest
that you allow a 3-hour window to include travel time, set-up, and wrap-up
when teaching the lessons. All of the schools are on the UM shuttle line. A
background check is required. TLPL 101 meets for one-hour and twenty minutes
once a week.

Why this course?
a. $150 scholarship if you complete the course with a “B” or higher
b. No obligation; by taking TLPL 101, it doesn’t mean you have to enroll
in the teaching program; you can receive the $150 without any obligation
c. Give back to your community; all field experiences done in local schools
with diverse populations
d. Improve your oral communication skills; you will have the opportunity to
teach elementary school students two science or two math lessons
e. Transportation is not an issue; all schools where you will do your field
placements are on the UM shuttle or accessible by the metro bus
f. Share your passion for science and math; your lesson could inspire the
next generation of scientists and mathematicians; UM undergraduates have
heard students after their lessons say , “I like science now…I didn’t
know it could be fun.”
g. “Beef up” your resume and applications to professional schools;
professional schools are looking for STEM students that have something
special to offer; your unique experiences in TLPL 101 would be great to talk
about in an interview

Contact Person: Anisha Campbell
Contact Email: [log in to unmask]
Contact Phone Number: 301-405-0645