Help for PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Archives

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Archives

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Archives

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE@LISTSERV1.IT-PROD-COTS.AWS.UMD.EDU

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Home

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Home

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE  June 2017

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE June 2017

from POSTECH, UoS; Origin of Kim Il-Sung Legend

ysnet <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Jun 2017 00:54:35 -0400

GLOBAL NETWORK FOR KOREAN ENGINEERS AND SCIENTISTS
  We believe in global competition!

  If you wish to settle down in the United States and fly
  around the world, visit http://ysfine.com/wisdom for the
  "Wisdom of Korea" site.

ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH POSITIONS IN KOREA
  http://ysfine.com/jobs/koreaj.html

UNIVERSITY OF SEOUL

Department of Physics

A Tenure-track faculty position in theoretical physics

The University of Seoul invites applications for one tenure-track
faculty position in theoretical physics beginning Sep. 1, 2017.

Candidates are required to have a doctoral degree in physics, and
expected to have outstanding research experiences and a strong
interest in teaching.  The application deadline is Jun. 16, 2017
by 17:00 (KST).

The detailed information can be found at

http://recruit.uos.ac.kr

For further inquiries, please feel free to contact

Prof. Jae Dong Noh
Chairman
Department of Physics
University of Seoul
Seoul, Korea

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

POHANG UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Condensed Matter Physics, Optics,
and Biophysics at POSTECH

The Department of Physics (http://ph.postech.ac.kr) at POSTECH
(http://www.postech.ac.kr/eng/) has openings of three tenure-track
faculty positions in Condensed Matter Physics, Optics, and Biophysics
starting from the fall semester 2017 or spring/fall semester 2018.

We seek candidates with the potential to create world-renowned
research program at POSTECH. Successful candidates are expected to
have international recognition in their field or a demonstrable
potential for such. They are expected to establish and execute an
independent research group at POSTECH, and should interact and
collaborate effectively with scientists in other research institutions
and organizations. They are also expected to teach undergraduate and
graduate courses in English and supervise graduate students.

Applicants are expected to have a Ph.D. in Physics or closely related
fields but we also welcome the application from exceptional Ph.D.
students, who expect to have their Ph.D. by their faculty appointment
date. We anticipate hiring at the assistant professor level, but will
also consider an associate professor appointment for exceptional
candidates.  Position and compensation will be commensurate with
qualification. POSTECH is building a culturally diverse body of
faculty, students and staff.  Non-Korean citizens and female
scientists are encouraged to apply.

To apply

Candidates should submit an application package that consists of:
(1) a Curriculum Vitae including full list of publications, patents,
    and technology transfers etc.,
(2) a statement of past research and future plans,
(3) three representative achievements (journal publications and/or
    R&D records), and
(4) at least three references with their contacts information.
    Please be reminded that all documents sent will not be returned.
    Moreover, the current offer can be deferred if POSTECH fails to
    find right persons.

The application deadline is June 30, 2017 by 18:00 (KST) but
applications will continue to be accepted until the positions are
filled. All application materials should be sent either by postal
mail or electronic mail to:

Postal address: Ms. Jua SHIN, Department of Physics, POSTECH,
77 Cheongam-Ro, Nam-Gu, Pohang, Gyeongbuk 37673, South Korea

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

For additional information, please contact: Mr. Kwang Young SONG
(Tel: +82-54-279-3711, E-mail: [log in to unmask])

ORIGIN OF THE KIM IL-SUNG LEGEND

I am spending this weekend in New York, and I am sending this mail
from a hotel room.  This message will be very brief.

Yes, when Korea was occupied by Japanese imperialists, there were
many who attempted to organize Korean armed groups to push out
Japanese from the Korean peninsula, and Koreans in Korea were
vaguely hoping the Korean independence army would come in to liberate
the country.  The name of the military leader was Kim Il-Sung.

This legend was common even among Japanese soldiers who served in
Manchuria during the period 1941-45.  There was a Japanese film
entitled "Ningen-no Joken" (Ingan-e Jokeon  -  Conditions for human
being) produced in 1960 by Kobayasi Masaki (known for producing many
anti-war movies in Japan) based on the Nobel with the same title
written by Komikawa Jumpei 1954.  The movie is nine hours long.
There, Koreans appear as opium traders.

While guarding the front line, two Japanese soldiers have private
talks.  They knew Japan was going to lose the war, and they were
going to get kicked out from Manchuria.  Who would then occupy this
place?  Sho Kai-Sheki or Kin Nit-Sei (Chiang Kai-Shek or Kim Il-Sung)?
They were not talking about a young man who appeared in Pyongyang on
October 14, 1945.

If you have not seen my previous article on this man, go back to

   http://ysfine.com/kobak/sebiro.html

Then how did this legend start?  There was a very informative
newspaper article published in 1981.  Go to

   http://www.ysfine.com/kobak/gazza11.pdf

I have a follow-up article on this, but I could not scan it here.
I am far away from my office.  I promise to send it to you next
time.

My hotel is near the corner of 33rd Street and Park Ave. in New
York, very close to Korea Way (32n Street).  There are many Korean
restaurants.  New York newspapers say that street should become
cleaner, but Koreans cannot change their way of life.

Y.S.Kim (2017.6.5)

If you have comments and/or criticisms, do not hesitate to communicate
them to <[log in to unmask]>.  For earlier articles, visit the wisdom
website <http://ysfine.com/wisdom>.

For international programs supported by this network system, you may
visit
            <http://ysfine.com>.

The Korean component of this network system was initially developed
for Korean physicists, but we are very happy to be able to extend our
service to the entire community of Korean engineers and scientists.

Network Policy:  This network will give one but not more than one
mass-mail circulation for each job advertisement.  Revised announcements
will not be circulated.  They will however be deposited into our system
for those who wish to read updated versions.

Circulation Policy: If you are a Korean engineer or scientist, you are
invited to join this network.  If you are interested in reading the
editorial(s) attached to each mail, you are welcome to join even if
you are not an engineer or scientist.  The editorials are written also
for Americans of Korean origin who are seeking their identity.  If you
are not interested in receiving the e-mails from this network, you can
express your desire by sending a "reply" mail.  Please specify the
e-mail address(es) which we should delete from our database.
message to [log in to unmask]