Help for PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Archives

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Archives

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Archives

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE@LISTSERV1.IT-PROD-COTS.AWS.UMD.EDU

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Home

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE Home

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE  May 2020

PHYS-CONFERENCE-ANNOUNCE May 2020

from Max Planck Korea; Work during Corona period.

"Y.S.Kim for jobmenu" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 May 2020 00:05:03 -0400

I am using this conference email system, because I have difficulties in
using my jobmenu system.  My apologies!

GLOBAL NETWORK FOR KOREAN ENGINEERS AND SCIENTISTS
  We believe in global competition!

  If you wish to settle down in the United States and fly
  around the world, visit http://ysfine.com/wisdom for the
  "Wisdom of Korea" site.

ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH POSITIONS IN KOREA
  http://ysfine.com/jobs/koreaj.html

MAX PLANCK POSTECH/KOREA RESEARCH INITIATIVE (MPK)

Military service researcher position in Center for Complex Phase
Materials

MPK, a research institute in research networks with Max Planck
Inititutes, Germany, was founded in 2011. MPK locates at POSTECH and
consists of two research centers, Center for Complex Phase Materials
(CPM) and Atto-Science (AS) Center.

MPK-CPM invites qualified applicants for one scientific researcher
position under the Military Service Act. The position is open to experts
in area of condensed matter physics experiments for quantum phenomena
with phase complexity in strongly correlated electron systems, quantum
materials with topology, magnetism, low dimensional systems, etc.
MPK-CPM involves various experiments such as

i) home-lab and Synchrotron based Electron Spectroscopies
   (ARPES, XAS, XMCD, etc) and X-ray scatterings (XRS, XRD, etc),
ii) Neutron scattering,
iii) Materials science (bulk and PLD films), and
iv) Scanning probe microscopy (AFM, STM, etc).

To apply, applicants should submit application documents of
  1. Curriculum Vitae including a list of publications
  2. Short statements of past research experiences and future plan
  3. Contact information on two references.

The application deadline is 5th of June, 2020 but the applications
will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. The
application documents should be sent by e-mail to

Mr. Jungkyoon Ko([log in to unmask]), MPK Administration office

Jungkyoon Ko
Max Planck POSTECH/Korea Research Initiative
77 Cheongam-Ro, Nam-Gu, Pohang, Gyeongbuk 37673, Korea
Tel: +82-54-279-3795, Fax: +82-54-279-3779
Homepage:http://mpk.or.kr/eng/news/sub32.asp

WHAT DID YOU DO DURING THE CORONA CRISIS?

Due to the Corona crisis, our university and research activities have
been seriously interrupted.  We could not do this, and we could not do
that.  We had to stay home.

I could not travel, but it gave me enough time to organize the photos
I have taken in the past while travelling around the world.  In the
past, I went to Baltic countries, but I never has a chanceto put into
a webage the photos taken there.  You are invited to the page

   http://ysfine.com/world/balticw.html

to see what is going on in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, and
the Russian city of Kaliningrad.

What do those places have to do with us?  They are like Korea.  They
have their own ethnic distinctions with their own languages and
cultural traditions.  They share their borders with Russia, but their
borders are also along the Baltic Sea.  They are always under pressure
from Russia, but they have been in constant touch with Germany and
other Western countries.

I made my first trip to Estonia in 1990.  At that time, Estonia was a
republic (province) of the Soviet Union, and I went there with a visa
to the Soviet Union.  I went there again 2015.  I noted changes there.

Among the Baltic places, the Russian city of Kaliningrad was a
German city of Koenigsberg until 1945.  This city produced many
important people in history. Among the physicists are Arnold
Sommerfeld, Herman Helmholz, and Hermann Minkowski.  The present
form of the Maxwell's equation in terms of vector notations was
formulated at this University.

Among the philosophers, Immanuel Kant was born in this city, and
he spent 80 years of his entire life in this city.  I went to
Kaliningrad in 2005 to study how Kant was able to formulate his
philosophy.

Why Kant?  Einstein was a Kant enthusiast when he was a high school
student, and his special relativity is a reflection of his Kantian
view of the world.  Things could look differently to moving ovservers.

While doing physics, Einstein became a Hegelianist.  While studying
history, Hegel concluded that Greek culture and Judean ethics, if
combined, could produce the Christian civilization.  Einstein
considered the energy-momentum relations for massive and massless
particles, and came up with one formula, thus leading to the concept
of wave-particle duality.

While Einstein was worrying about how things look to moving observers,
he never worried about how the hydrogen atom would appear to moving
observers.  At his time, the hydrogen atom was an important physical
object.  As we all know, Niels Bohr became a VIP in physics thanks to
his research on this atom.

The question then is how the hydrogen atom appears when it moves fast
enough.  Don't worry.  I am not going to say I am the first one to
ask this question.  The person who asked this question first was
Paul A. M. Dirac.  His papers are like poems, but do not contain any
diagrams.  It is thus fun to translate his papers into cartoons.

One half century later, this hydrogen issue becomes the proton as a
bound state of the quarks.  Unlike the hydrogen atom, the proton can
be accelerated, and its velocity can become very close to that of
light. Thus, the question becomes how the proton appears to a moving
observer.

In order to entertain this question, I have constructed a webpage:

    http://ysfine.com/philo/helena.html

You will like this page for your summer-time entertainment.

Y.S.Kim (2020.5.24)

If you have comments and/or criticisms, do not hesitate to communicate
them to <[log in to unmask]>.  For earlier articles, visit the wisdom
website <http://ysfine.com/wisdom>.

For international programs supported by this network system, you may
visit
            <http://ysfine.com>.

The Korean component of this network system was initially developed
for Korean physicists, but we are very happy to be able to extend our
service to the entire community of Korean engineers and scientists.

Network Policy:  This network will give one but not more than one
mass-mail circulation for each job advertisement.  Revised announcements
will not be circulated.  They will however be deposited into our system
for those who wish to read updated versions.

Circulation Policy: If you are a Korean engineer or scientist, you are
invited to join this network.  If you are interested in reading the
editorial(s) attached to each mail, you are welcome to join even if
you are not an engineer or scientist.  The editorials are written also
for Americans of Korean origin who are seeking their identity.  If you
are not interested in receiving the e-mails from this network, you can
express your desire by sending a "reply" mail.  Please specify the
e-mail address(es) which we should delete from our database.
message to [log in to unmask]