The CAST Division calls for student presentation award nominations. Eight students will be selected as finalists to present a research paper during the AIChE Annual meeting. All finalists will be invited to the CAST Division dinner for recognition. The award winners will be announced at the same dinner.
Presentation award winners will be honored with a Presentation Award plaque and a monetary prize recognizing their accomplishment. The students may receive the plaque and the check at the CAST Award Dinner the following AIChE Annual Meeting or by mail.
• 1st Place: $1500,
• 2nd Place: $500,
• 3rd Place: $200,
although these amounts may change at the CAST Directors’ discretion.
To be eligible, a student must be an AIChE member and present a paper at the Annual Meeting in a CAST sponsored (or co-sponsored) session. The student's research advisor should make the award nomination. Each advisor may nominate only one student, and only CAST Division members can nominate students. Students can be “Presentation Award Finalist” only once during their studies. The nomination package, in the form of a single PDF file, should include:
1. The presentation abstract,
2. Resume/CV, highlighting the student's accomplishments,
3. A single-page recommendation letter from the faculty advisor, and
4. A statement that provides the student's AIChE membership number and confirms the student will be presenting this paper if accepted.
The following additional requirements apply:
• The candidate must be an undergraduate or graduate student when the abstract was submitted.
• The candidate must submit the abstract through the AIChE conference website by the abstract submission deadline.
• Awards may be shared with multiple students in the case of a tie vote in the awards committee or if multiple students orally present the winning presentation. Award amounts are at the judges' discretion.
• Awards will be determined by the quality of the technical content as described in the abstract, quality of the presentation slides, and quality of the oral presentation.
• At least two weeks before the start of the Annual Meeting, students will be required to submit the current version of their presentation and a description of the technical importance of their work as a single pdf.
In exceptional cases of need, the CAST Directors may consider defraying travel costs for finalists, but in these cases, the faculty advisor should write a statement justifying the funding need. The faculty advisor should also provide (in these cases) an itemized list of requested funds.
Deadline – Nomination package is due April 30, 2021. Note that the student's AIChE membership number must be a part of the nomination package. The nomination material must be sent electronically in the form of a single PDF file to Mona Bavarian ([log in to unmask]). Student presentation award finalists will be announced by June 15, 2021.
Review process - The review process will be coordinated by the Student Presentation Award Chair, and the presentations will be judged by the CAST Directors and other members of the CAST Executive Committee.
Mona Bavarian and Juergen Hahn
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
[log in to unmask]