Chemical & Materials Engineering, University of Alberta Process Systems
Engineering & Engineering Statistics

Applications are invited for multiple tenure-track faculty positions at
all ranks. The successful candidates are expected to establish productive
research programs in the areas of Process Systems Engineering and
Engineering Statistics. We are particularly interested in researchers with
demonstrated expertise in multivariate statistical methods, fault
detection and isolation, statistical modeling and analysis, and design of
experiments, as well as interests in application to energy and natural
resources or biomedical engineering. Candidates must have the ability to
conduct both independent and cooperative research, develop viable and
productive research programs, and to teach both undergraduate and graduate
courses in chemical and / or materials engineering. The successful
candidate will be joining a vibrant, multi-disciplinary community of
process systems and control engineering researchers on the University of
Alberta campus.

Candidates must either hold a PhD in Chemical and/or Materials
Engineering, or related field, or expect to receive one shortly after
taking up their appointment. The recruited individuals are expected to
develop collaborative efforts with groups in the strategic research areas
of: energy and natural resources, biomedical engineering, the National
Institute for Nanotechnology (NINT), catalysis and reactor engineering,
fuel cells, surface and interfacial sciences. The existing infrastructure
to support this research is outstanding, including our departmental high
performance computing centre, the WestGrid computing facility, the Alberta
Centre for Surface Engineering and Science, the Nanofab and Nano Tools
Facilities in the Faculty of Engineering, and the microscopy facilities at
NINT, and the exceptional research facilities available in the Faculty of
Medicine and Dentistry. Faculty members also have the opportunity to
develop strong collaborations industrial and governmental research labs
and with operating companies in Alberta.

The Department of Chemical & Materials Engineering at the University of
Alberta is one of the premier research-intensive departments of its kind
in North America. Our faculty complement is currently 42 with plans in
place to grow to approximately 65. We currently have 207 graduate students
and 70 other researchers working within our research programs. The
research strengths within the department include: process systems
engineering and process control, surface and interfacial science, reaction
engineering and catalysis, computational fluid dynamics, high temperature
fuel cells, and nanomaterials and regenerative medicine. For information
about our department, please consult our website at:
www.engineering.ualberta.ca/cme/.

A curriculum vitae, the names of three confidential references, a
statement of teaching interests and philosophy, and a statement of current
research interests and plans for future research should be sent by March
31, 2008 to:

Dr. J. F. Forbes
536 Chemical-Materials Engineering Building  University of Alberta
Edmonton  Canada  T6G 2G6
Telephone: (780) 492-3321  Fax: (780) 492-2881
www.engineering.ualberta.ca/cme
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2G6

Please quote pse08 as the competition number in your application. The
position will be available in 2008. Subsequent applications will be
considered until the positions are filled. All qualified candidates are
encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be
given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents
cannot be found, other individuals will be considered. The University of
Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of
equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from
all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members
of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.