Image Access Research Project Seeks Project Manager
15 hrs/week, Graduate Assistant or hourly.
T3 = Text, Tags, and Trust
The T3 project at the University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies has an opening for a part-time graduate student position. Applications are taken now for start time between Nov. 1, 2008 and Jan. 15, 2009. For best consideration apply by Friday, Oct. 31.
The goal of the T3 research project is to improve access to digital image collections in museums and libraries for art historians, museum professionals, and the general public. T3 combines text mining, social tagging, and trust inferencing to enrich metadata and personalize retrieval. T3 is a collaborative, cross-disciplinary project comprised of academic researchers, digital librarians, and museum professionals.
We are currently seeking a graduate student from Information Studies or Art History to assist with general project coordination, developing a web presence, designing materials to distribute at conferences and similar events, and preparation of project reports and publications. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
· Managing the project, maintaining the project schedule, organizing project meetings, and participating in weekly conference calls
· Planning and coordinating the preparation of project reports and publications and editing these documents
· Designing, creating, and maintaining the project wiki
· Designing a project brochure
· Contributing to presentation preparation, including creating PowerPoint slides and handouts
· Additional support functions
This position suits a person who is organized, interested in learning about new digital directions in information access for visual materials, and who enjoys working with others. Desired qualifications include:
· Excellent writing skills
· Strong organization skills
· Strong visual sense of aesthetics
· Proficient in HTML and web design applications or quick learner
· Initiative and ability to work independently
This position is open immediately. If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information to Carolyn Sheffield, Room 3161 A.V. Williams Building , University of Maryland or [log in to unmask].