Research Engineer position available at The Dow Chemical Company
The Dow Chemical Company is seeking to hire a full-time research engineer in the Chemometrics group in the Manufacturing Analytical Technology Center based in Freeport, Texas starting in 2011. Chemometrics is a fast growing area in Dow and the primary focus of this job is to apply process chemometrics (multivariate statistical analysis tools) to troubleshoot complex manufacturing problems and to develop technology to address manufacturing issues. This role will also require broad problem-solving capabilities through collaboration with other manufacturing and R&D personnel. The applicant will need to be capable of managing multiple projects in parallel and learning new data analysis techniques promptly.
The key job responsibilities include:
- Troubleshooting manufacturing process and quality problems by incorporating chemistry and engineering knowledge into multivariate data analysis.
- Consultation with internal Dow manufacturing clients to define and meet their needs in multivariate statistical data analysis to improve process and product quality.
- Performing research and leveraging emerging technology in multivariate statistical analysis into Dow.
The ideal candidate will have:
- EDUCATION: Ph.D. or Post-Doc (with no industrial working experience) in Chemical Engineering or closely related field with a strong background in multivariate statistical analysis.
- TECHNICAL: Proficiency in chemometric techniques (such as PCA, PLS) applied to manufacturing data. In addition, familiarity with current commercial and academic software (such as SIMCA, JMP), computer languages (such as MatlabTM, VBA) is necessary.
- TEAMWORK: Must be able to work effectively as a team member in a self-directed team environment globally. Must be able to translate and communicate statistical results to non-statistics experts. Demonstrates leadership skills, and actively participates in team meetings.
- INITIATIVE: Overcome obstacles (capital, resources, time) to achieve results. Self-driven to actively generate, pursue and complete projects. Identify value-creation opportunities to apply chemometrics.
- LEARNING: Interested and effective in learning new data analysis techniques through internal research collaboration, workshop, and journal reading.
- VALUE CREATION: Must be able to recognize opportunities and interact directly with clients to deliver effective solutions. Prioritize multiple projects and effectively allocate resources to maximize value creation.
- COMMUNICATION: Strong verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing and presentation.
Applicants should apply through http://www.dow.com/careers/apply.htm, for job # 1004457. Please also submit resume to Leo Chiang ([log in to unmask]). All resumes should be received by October 22, 2010.
Leo Chiang, Ph. D.
Lead Analytical Specialist
Analytical Tech Center
The Dow Chemical Company
2301 Brazosport Blvd., B1225
Freeport, TX 77541