Maryland AskUsNow! Virtual Reference Librarian Volunteer Internship Opportunity
AskUsNow!, Maryland's statewide virtual reference service, is seeking two librarian volunteer interns (i.e., unpaid) for Winter 2011 semester. The positions are open until filled. Applications will be considered in order they are received.
Maryland AskUsNow! (www.askusnow.info) is an internationally recognized service that started in 2003. Over 300 librarians from across the state participate through 38 Partner Institutions (www.askusnow.info/libraries). Over 300,000 Maryland residents and students have received help through AskUsNow!. Maryland AskUsNow! is a project of the Division of Library Development and Services, Maryland State Department of Education, funded through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Successful completion of training in the use of AskUsNow! chat and email software (OCLC’s QuestionPoint)
- Staffing assigned virtual reference shifts to answer questions in real-time
- Following-up with customers via email from AskUsNow!’s shared follow-up queue
- Participation on the Star Transcript Team for the reviewing of transcripts and acknowledgement of the work done by statewide librarians
- Opportunity to meet with liaisons from each partner institution at the quarterly liaison meetings
Volunteer Intern Requirements
- Must be a graduate of or currently enrolled at an accredited Library or Information Science program.
- Must have successfully completed the 650 Reference Class [title here] or have documented reference experience.
- Must commit to volunteering at least two hours per week during assigned shifts (specific shifts are negotiable).
- Able to commit to monitoring Maryland AskUsNow! regularly throughout Winter 2011 semester. Successful intern may continue volunteering in later semesters.
- Must have reliable access to a computer and broadband internet during internship.
You should consider this opportunity if you:
- Have a strong interest in virtual reference service
- Have excellent written communication skills.
- Are comfortable with instant messaging software.
- Are willing to work from a distance.
- Obtaining valuable, real-world virtual reference experience to put on your resume.
- Working with an internationally-recognized virtual reference service.
- Being able to volunteer from home.
- Satisfaction in helping the students and residents of Maryland get the help they need.
To apply or for more details, email Julie Strange, Statewide Coordinator for Maryland AskUsNow! at [log in to unmask]