The Dow Chemical Company is seeking to hire a new university graduate as a full-time research engineer in the Chemometrics group in the Manufacturing Analytical Technology Center, located in Europe, preferably Terneuzen, The Netherlands, starting in 2011. Chemometrics is a fast growing area in Dow and the primary focus of this job is to apply process chemometrics (multivariate statistical analysis tools) to troubleshoot complex manufacturing problems and to develop technology to address manufacturing issues. This role will also require broad problem-solving capabilities through collaboration with other manufacturing and R&D personnel. The applicant will need to be capable of managing multiple projects in parallel and learning new data analysis techniques promptly.
Applicants should apply through http://www.dow.com/careers/apply.htm, for job # 1004628 (in Europe). Please also submit resumes to Mary Beth Seasholtz ([log in to unmask]). We will have representatives at the Scandinavian Symposium on Chemometrics (SSC12) in Denmark, June 7-10 2011. If you are interested in applying for the job and will be attending the conference, please make arrangements with Mary Beth Seasholtz to introduce yourself in person! All resumes should be received by July 1, 2011.
The key job responsibilities include:
- Troubleshooting manufacturing process and quality problems by incorporating chemistry and engineering knowledge into multivariate data analysis.
- Consultation with internal Dow manufacturing clients to define and meet their needs in multivariate statistical data analysis to improve process and product quality.
- Performing research and leveraging emerging technology in multivariate statistical analysis into Dow.
The ideal candidate will have:
- EDUCATION: Ph.D. (with no industrial working experience, 1 year post-doc is allowed) in Chemical Engineering or closely related field with a strong background in multivariate statistical analysis.
- TECHNICAL: Proficiency in chemometric techniques (such as PCA, PLS) applied to manufacturing data. In addition, familiarity with current commercial and academic software (such as SIMCA, JMP), and computer languages (such as MatlabTM, VBA) is necessary.
- TEAMWORK: Must be able to work effectively as a team member in a self-directed team environment globally. Must be able to translate and communicate statistical results to non-statistics experts. Demonstrates leadership skills, and actively participates in team meetings.
- INITIATIVE: Overcome obstacles (capital, resources, time) to achieve results. Self-driven to actively generate, pursue and complete projects. Identify value-creation opportunities to apply chemometrics.
- LEARNING: Interested and effective in learning new data analysis techniques through internal research collaboration, workshop, and journal reading.
- VALUE CREATION: Must be able to recognize opportunities and interact directly with clients to deliver effective solutions. Prioritize multiple projects and effectively allocate resources to maximize value creation.
- COMMUNICATION: Strong verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of Dutch is not required.
Leo Chiang, Ph.D.
Lead Analytical Manager
Analytical Tech Center
The Dow Chemical Company
2301 Brazosport Blvd., B1225
Freeport, TX 77541