DC/SLA is relaunching and rebranding its Spend a Day with a Special
Librarian program as the Make-A-Connection program.
The Make-A-Connection program enables students to understand what it
means to be in a specialized environment such a special library by connecting
them with practicing LIS professionals to learn more about their jobs, work
environments, and career history.
This program allows students to explore different types of work situations
and make connections within the local community of information professionals.
For the LIS professionals this program allows them an opportunity to give back
to the profession and interact with a new librarian.
We are looking for interested students who are currently enrolled in a
library program and/or have graduated in the past six months as well as LIS
professionals who are willing to host one or more students in various ways.
If you are interested please fill out the appropriate sign-up form below by
Wednesday, May 18th. A committee member will contact you by Monday,
May 23rd with the student(s) or professional that you are matched up
The specific date and time for the actual connection will be up to the
matched student and professional. We encourage you to complete your connection
by the mid-July.
Feel free to reach out to any of the committee members if you have questions
about the program.
Make-A-Connection Host Sign Up
Make-A-Connection Student and Recent Graduate Sign Up
The Make-a-Connection program does not involve a particular day or format.
Students and hosts should work together to determine a mutually convenient time.
The format is also flexible and may include:
- job “shadowing”
- an informational interview
- a library tour
- to an in-person conversation over a cup of coffee.
- Whatever time you are able to share with a student will be appreciated
- If you agree to host more than one student, please meet with each student
separately so each participant can have an individualized experience
- The committee will provide you with the contact information of the student
- It is the student’s responsibility to contact you to find a mutually
- After the in-person connection has been made, fill out the short
questionnaire to provide feedback so we can further improve the
Student and Recent Graduate Guidelines
Students and recent graduates who sign up for the Make-a-Connection program
will be provided with the contact information of a few potential hosts. It is up
to you to start the connection and find a mutally agreeable date and time to
meet. Your experience will vary depending upon your host's availability. Some
hosts are able to:
- have a visitor for the whole day
- have a vistor for part of a day
- provide a tour of their office
- have lunch or coffee
- You will meet with your host individually
- After you have completed your visit fill out the short feedback
questionnaire to improve the program in the future.
- If you have any questions or difficulties, let one of the committee members