For more than 100 years, Praxair has taken something as fundamental as air and turned it into ways to make food taste better, plants operate cleaner and more efficiently, breathing easier and entertainment more exciting – in short, to make all our lives better.
Praxair is a Fortune 250 company and the products and technology impact in more than 20 different industries. We’re one of the world’s largest industrial gases businesses and you see our work every day, often without realizing it.
POSITION QUALIFICATION SUMMARY:
In this role you will be a member of the Advanced Control and Statistics R&D team. You will develop and assess advanced process control and monitoring technology for Praxair’s air separation and hydrogen plants, including model predictive control (MPC), real time optimization, multivariate statistics and related technologies. As the Senior R&D Controls Engineer you will have the opportunity to make a significant global impact to Praxair’s business and push the boundaries of control, monitoring and optimization technologies. You will be involved in technology development programs from concept initiation through commercialization.
Successful candidates should not only exhibit technical excellence, but be able to champion new ideas and technology within Praxair. To do this effectively, the candidate needs to demonstrate high levels of leadership capability, strong verbal and written communication skills, a team-oriented focus, and an ability to find innovative technical solutions that best meet the needs of the customer. Keeping abreast of new technology developments will be vital for success in this role, thus we are looking for someone that is truly passionate about this field. You should also be willing to travel globally, and be comfortable interfacing with people from a variety of cultures and business backgrounds.
· Work closely with Operations, Engineering and Business organizations globally to drive technology development programs from concept through commercialization
· Develop a credible business case for new technology programs and lead the technical development.
· Interact with multi-disciplinary project execution teams
· Stay abreast of new technology developments in your field of expertise and actively contribute ideas for new R&D programs
· Manage partnerships and development programs with external vendors and academia
· Master’s or PhD degree in Chemical Engineering
· Minimum of 3 years of experience applying advanced process control technology in an industrial setting
· Experience with Model Predictive Control (MPC)
· Experience in modeling chemical processes
· Ability to travel (domestic and international) up to 25% of the time
· Excellent communication and presentation skills
· PhD degree in Chemical Engineering
· 5+ years of experience applying advanced process control technology in an industrial setting
· Experience in applied multivariate statistics and/or data mining, as well as optimization experience
· Experience with Operator Training simulators
· Air separation and Hydrogen reforming experience is preferred