Amgen is seeking a talented CFD Engineer.
Sr Engineer - Digital Development
Auto Req #: 24866BR?
Talent Area: Operations/Manufacturing, Research & Development?
Career Categories: Engineering?
Location: US - CA - Thousand Oaks
Amgen Job Description
Amgen's Digital Development group is a global process development function that develops and deploys advanced technologies in: 1) data capture, integration and management, 2) empirical and first principles modeling towards improved process understanding and robustness, and 3) monitoring, prediction and optimization of manufacturing. We are seeking a team member to provide technical support, analyses, and assessments for a broad base of clients globally by leveraging expertise in first principles modeling and simulation with an emphasis on computational fluid dynamics (CFD) for protein production. The engineer will tackle a wide variety of challenging fluids problems across many organizations including: drug substance, drug product and drug delivery devices. Responsibilities include preparation of internally reviewed technical reports as well as participation in and presentation of results at department and project meetings with minimal supervisor guidance. It is expected that models and their underlying technical basis be taught to the broader engineering and scientist community responsible for delivering processes to operations. Additional experience in first principles modeling (e.g., mechanistic modeling using differential and algebraic equations) of biopharmaceutical processes and unit operations, such as chromatography columns, bioreactors, filters and harvesting operations.
Doctorate Degree OR Doctorate degree completed by June 2014 OR Master's Degree & 3 years of Engineering experience OR Bachelor's Degree & 5 years of Engineering experience OR Associate's degree & 10 years of Engineering experience OR High school diploma/GED & 12 years of Engineering experience
* BS, MS or Ph.D. in Chemical, Biochemical, Mechanical Engineering or Life Sciences.
* Expertise in the practical application of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation or similar mechanistic modeling to support design, development, and selection of manufacturing processes and equipment.
* Expertise in problem formulation/structuring for development of CFD and other computational models.
* Solid theoretical background in fluid dynamics and numerical methods.
* Basic familiarity with mixing, multi-phase flow, porous media, turbulence modeling, and microfluidics.
* Basic programming skills in any of the following: C++, Perl, Fortran, Java, C#, VB, Matlab
* Requires relevant experience in model validation and support of other model users.
* Experience with the use of Ansys Fluent and OpenFOAM CFD codes.
* Experience with modeling biopharmaceutical unit operation-based problems using external and internal resources with significant personal effort to identify gaps, plan for their closure, and achieve results.
* Basic Unix/Linux computer management experience.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Applications are being accepted at the Amgen careers website.