Dear CAST10 members,
I am posting this job to the CAST10 listserv for Larry Wright at Sadara, so if interested in applying, please contact him directly.
Leo Chiang, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Manager
Chemometrics and Data Analytics
Analytical Tech Center
The Dow Chemical Company
2301 Brazosport Blvd., B-1225
Freeport, TX 77541
2015 AIChE Spring Meeting Big Data Topical Chair
2016 AIChE Fall Meeting CAST 10E Chair
2014-2016 AIChE CAST Director
I’m searching for a couple of Manufacturing Chemometricians to help us build a new company in Jubail Industrial City, Saudi Arabia, that we are calling Sadara. Established in October 2011, Sadara is a joint venture developed by the Saudi Arabian Oil Company and The Dow Chemical Company. It is an unprecedented undertaking – the largest chemical complex ever built in the world in a single phase, with 26 integrated world-scale manufacturing plants, over 3 million metric tons of capacity per year, and a total investment of about US$20 billion. Construction is almost complete and we are now moving into the commissioning and startup phase of the plants. Sadara needs analytical and process chemometrics to build analytical models in support of online/lab spectroscopic instruments as well as to troubleshoot complex manufacturing problems (refer to job description below). If you are interested in helping us build this new company, please send a cover letter detailing your experiences and a resume to [log in to unmask].
Fundamental Problem Solving Consultant
Analytical Envelope Specialist Leader
METOC 2A, Jubail Sadara Site
Al Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
+966 50 460 0985
تغيير قواعد اللعبة
كيمياء .. وقيمة مضافة
Sadara Chemical Company is in the process of commissioning and starting up 26 integrated world-scale manufacturing plants that will produce more than three million tons of products every year in Jubail Industrial City II, Saudi Arabia. The company is currently searching for two Manufacturing Chemometricians to apply analytical and process chemometrics (multivariate statistical analysis tools) to build analytical models in support of online/lab spectroscopic instruments as well as to troubleshoot complex manufacturing problems. This role will also require broad problem-solving capabilities through collaboration with chemists, engineers, and other manufacturing personnel. The applicant will need to be capable of managing multiple projects in parallel and learning new data analysis techniques promptly.
· Develop and maintain chemometrics models to support online and laboratory spectroscopy-based analyzes
· Troubleshooting manufacturing process and quality problems by incorporating chemistry and engineering knowledge into multivariate data analysis.
· Consultation with internal Sadara manufacturing clients to define and meet their needs in multivariate statistical data analysis to improve process and product quality
· Leverage emerging technology in multivariate statistical analysis into Sadara
The successful candidate must be able to:
· Build, develop, and validate chemometric models for spectroscopic analyzers
· Work effectively as a team member in a self-directed team environment
· Translate and communicate statistical results to non-statistics experts
· Demonstrate leadership skills and actively participate in project team meetings
· Overcome obstacles (capital, resources, time) to achieve results
· Be self-driven to actively generate, pursue and complete projects
· Identify value-creation opportunities to apply chemometrics throughout Sadara
· Be interested and effective in learning new data analysis techniques through external collaborations, workshops, and journal reading
· Be able to recognize opportunities and interact directly with clients to deliver effective solutions
· Prioritize multiple projects and effectively allocate resources to maximize value creation
· Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing and presentation.
Education and Experience Requirements:
· A minimum of a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or an engineering related field is preferred; however, experienced MS applicants are also encouraged to apply
· At least 2 years of experience using chemometric techniques (such as PCA, PLS) applied to analytical and/or manufacturing data in an industrial or academic setting is required
· Industrial experience in the form of current job, an internship, or Post Doc experience would be an asset
Additional desired skills/experience
· Familiarity with current commercial and academic software (such as SIMCA, Pirouette, PLS_Toolbox, GRAMS, JMP) and computer languages (such as MatlabTM, VBA)
· Experience in Process Analytics and/or Process Control
· Experience with theoretical or applied statistics