Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to share three exciting opportunities at the University of
Notre Dame.

*Tenure-Track Faculty (any rank)*

Official Ad: I am pleased to announce that the Department of Chemical and
Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Notre Dame has several
faculty openings
at any rank. The searches are open to candidates specializing in any area
of chemical and biomolecular engineering. We are looking for faculty members
who have demonstrated excellence in academic research and have a strong
commitment to teaching and advising undergraduate and graduate students. We
also seek faculty who are attracted to Notre Dame's distinctive mission,
will actively support and help create a climate of excellence and diversity
and will contribute to the department's efforts to attract and retain a
diverse student body.  Candidates are encouraged to apply by October 31,
2019, but we will continue to accept applications until the positions are
filled. Information about Notre Dame is available at http://www.nd.edu and
information about the department is available at  http://cbe.nd.edu.

Additional Commentary: The search remains ongoing. Candidates in the
process systems engineering area are encouraged to apply. I am happy to
share my experiences and excitement for Notre Dame with prospective
candidates at the AIChE Annual Meeting.

The link below provides a description of the positions and instructions for
applying.
https://apply.interfolio.com/67424

*Postdoctoral Scholar in Dowling Research Group*

There is one immediate postdoctoral opening in my research group at the
University of Notre Dame.

This position broadly intersects optimization under uncertainty, machine
learning, and uncertainty quantification with a focus on several
molecular-to-system engineering applications in sustainable energy.
Candidates are expected to a Ph.D. in engineering, statistics, mathematics,
computer science, or a related field. Demonstrated skills and experience in
computer programming, large-scale numerical optimization, design of
experiments, Bayesian optimization, applied probability, and/or uncertainty
quantification are preferred. Experience with modeling membrane separations
and/or computer-aided molecular design is also a plus. This position
includes extensive opportunities to interact with two dynamic,
multi-disciplinary research communities at Notre Dame: the Computational
Molecular Science and Engineering Laboratory and the Center for Informatics
and Computational Sciences (https://cics.nd.edu/). The initial appointment
is for one year, with funding in place for a mutually agreeable renewal for
a second year.

Interested applicants should send a cover letter, detailed curriculum
vitae, two representative publications, and a list of references to Prof.
Alexander Dowling ([log in to unmask]). All materials sent by November 22 will
receive full consideration. Thereafter, applications will be considered
until the position is filled. Please contact me (Prof. Dowling) with any
questions. I am also happy to talk with candidates at the AIChE conference
next week.

*Several PhD Positions in Computational Chemical Engineering*

The Computational Molecular Science and Engineering Laboratory (CoMSEL) at
the University of Notre Dame seeks several high-motivated PhD students to
start in Fall 2020. CoMSEL research interests span molecular to systems
scales, including computational catalysis, molecular simulations, data
science, and process systems engineering. The newly renovated CoMSEL is
home to the research groups of Profs. Yamil Colón (
https://engineering.nd.edu/profiles/ycolon), Alexander Dowling (
https://dowlinglab.nd.edu/), Edward Maginn (
http://sites.nd.edu/maginn-group/), William Schneider (
https://wfschneidergroup.github.io/), and Jonathan Whitmer (
https://www3.nd.edu/~jwhitme1/). I am happy to speak with prospective
students at AIChE. Apply at https://cbe.nd.edu/graduate-program by January
1. Prospective students who are U.S. citizens/permanent residents or hold a
degree from a U.S. institution are encouraged to contact [log in to unmask] for an
application fee waiver.

Best regards,
Alex Dowling

--
Alexander Dowling, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

Office: 369 Nieuwland Hall, Notre Dame, IN, 46556
Phone: 574-631-4041
Email: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Website: www.dowlinglab.org