Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to share three exciting opportunities at the University of Notre Dame.

Tenure-Track Faculty (any rank)

Official Ad: I am pleased to announce that the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Notre Dame has several faculty openings at any rank. The searches are open to candidates specializing in any area of chemical and biomolecular engineering. We are looking for faculty members who have demonstrated excellence in academic research and have a strong commitment to teaching and advising undergraduate and graduate students. We also seek faculty who are attracted to Notre Dame's distinctive mission, will actively support and help create a climate of excellence and diversity and will contribute to the department's efforts to attract and retain a diverse student body.  Candidates are encouraged to apply by October 31, 2019, but we will continue to accept applications until the positions are filled. Information about Notre Dame is available at http://www.nd.edu and information about the department is available at  http://cbe.nd.edu.

Additional Commentary: The search remains ongoing. Candidates in the process systems engineering area are encouraged to apply. I am happy to share my experiences and excitement for Notre Dame with prospective candidates at the AIChE Annual Meeting.

The link below provides a description of the positions and instructions for applying.

Postdoctoral Scholar in Dowling Research Group

There is one immediate postdoctoral opening in my research group at the University of Notre Dame.

This position broadly intersects optimization under uncertainty, machine learning, and uncertainty quantification with a focus on several molecular-to-system engineering applications in sustainable energy. Candidates are expected to a Ph.D. in engineering, statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related field. Demonstrated skills and experience in computer programming, large-scale numerical optimization, design of experiments, Bayesian optimization, applied probability, and/or uncertainty quantification are preferred. Experience with modeling membrane separations and/or computer-aided molecular design is also a plus. This position includes extensive opportunities to interact with two dynamic, multi-disciplinary research communities at Notre Dame: the Computational Molecular Science and Engineering Laboratory and the Center for Informatics and Computational Sciences (https://cics.nd.edu/). The initial appointment is for one year, with funding in place for a mutually agreeable renewal for a second year.

Interested applicants should send a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, two representative publications, and a list of references to Prof. Alexander Dowling ([log in to unmask]). All materials sent by November 22 will receive full consideration. Thereafter, applications will be considered until the position is filled. Please contact me (Prof. Dowling) with any questions. I am also happy to talk with candidates at the AIChE conference next week.

Several PhD Positions in Computational Chemical Engineering

The Computational Molecular Science and Engineering Laboratory (CoMSEL) at the University of Notre Dame seeks several high-motivated PhD students to start in Fall 2020. CoMSEL research interests span molecular to systems scales, including computational catalysis, molecular simulations, data science, and process systems engineering. The newly renovated CoMSEL is home to the research groups of Profs. Yamil Colón (https://engineering.nd.edu/profiles/ycolon), Alexander Dowling (https://dowlinglab.nd.edu/), Edward Maginn (http://sites.nd.edu/maginn-group/), William Schneider (https://wfschneidergroup.github.io/), and Jonathan Whitmer (https://www3.nd.edu/~jwhitme1/). I am happy to speak with prospective students at AIChE. Apply at https://cbe.nd.edu/graduate-program by January 1. Prospective students who are U.S. citizens/permanent residents or hold a degree from a U.S. institution are encouraged to contact [log in to unmask] for an application fee waiver.

Best regards,
Alex Dowling

--
Alexander Dowling, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

Office: 369 Nieuwland Hall, Notre Dame, IN, 46556
Phone: 574-631-4041